The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, generally known as the Appalachian Trail or simply the AT, is a marked hiking trail in the eastern United States extending between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Mount Katahdin in Maine. It is approximately 2,181 miles long. The path is maintained by 30 trail clubs and multiple partnerships,and managed by the National Park Service and the nonprofit Appalachian Trail Conservancy. The majority of the trail is in wilderness, although some portions do traverse towns and roads, and cross rivers. The Appalachian Trail is famous for its many hikers, some of whom, called thru-hikers, attempt to hike it in its entirety in a single season. Along the way, the trail passes through the states of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME AS A FOLLOWER AND EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO ADD COMMENTS AT ANY TIME. THE POSTS ARCHIVE MONTHLY SO BE SURE TO READ THROUGH PREVIOUS POSTS LISTED ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PAGE.


Saturday, April 9, 2011

April 8 - Night Before

I sit here in a hotel room in Cleveland, Tennessee, the door propped open with my pack listening to the passing highway traffic, knowing that tomorrow is the day, the day that I will embark on a 2,200 mile journey from Springer Mountain, GA to Mt. Katahdin, Maine. This fact is something that is still sinking in. You would think that this would be pretty real at this point but it still seems like a dream. I am ready. Ready to put down the books. Ready to stop staring at a floor full of bandaids and freeze dried food thinking, "am I forgetting anything?" Ready? Who the hell knows. Ill figure it out as I go just as I do everything else. I am as ready as I can be. What I do know is that I am just as excited today as I was the day I decided this was what I wanted to do. I still remember the feeling, the exhilarating and the smell of the unknown. Unknown and adventure is what I am looking for. Tomorrow is the day I officially clock out.

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment